Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

VPI "Magic Brick" = You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone!

Clark,

The funny part about the VPI "Magic Brick" was that I could never detect when it was placed on an amp and I could never fail to detect when it was taken off the amp! My friend Rick from Connecticut bought one of the bricks from Leo that day he showed them to us. Later we went back to Rick's house and played with the "Magic Brick" on his Counterpoint SA-220.

I'd close my eyes and Rick would at some point in time place the VPI brick on his SA-220 amp while I listened. Even though:

1) I knew the brick would be placed on the amp.
2) I knew it would make a difference in the sound.

I could never, ever tell when Rick had placed the "Magic Brick" on the amp. In every case after Rick would place it on the amp he'd wait about 3-5 minutes and then he'd finally tell me he had placed the brick on the amp about 3 or 5 minutes ago. The reason we waited 3-5 minutes is we wanted to see if either I (or Rick) with our eyes closed could detect any difference in sound slowly improving. But neither of us could detect when the brick was placed on the amp, nor could we detect any differences as it slowly improved after 3-5 minutes. After that we'd often listen together until about 15-20mins passed discussing if we heard any improvement ----we NEVER did!

But with the same exact consistency that Rick and I couldn't tell when the VPI brick was placed on the amp we couldn't help but detect the very moment it was removed from the amp!!! Whenever Rick or I listened with our eyes closed we'd notice the instant the brick was removed from the amp --provided we left it on the amp for at least 15 mins, BEFORE removing it. To this day I don't know what the VPI "Magic Brick" did. I cannot tell you why I couldn't tell when it was placed on the amp or why I didn't hear the sound sloowlly improve after it was placed on the amp. The ONLY thing I know for sure was it improved the sound and the moment it was removed the sound instantly deteriorated.

I wished I had access to one of these types of devices to test today on the Mastersound because if it made anywhere near the improvement I heard on the Counterpoint SA-220 I'd buy one for certain. If anyone has one they'd let me try I'd be very, very interested.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.