Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I see an issue of balancing mid-range crossover distortion & HF beaming/integration.

Perhaps the MMT would do better with a high crossover. I certainly would like to raise efficiency with parallel 5.25" to 6.5" MW's to match the Raven tweeter.

But another concern is to have the "crossover" frequency high enough to not effect the critical SET midrange, but add that balanced "sparkle" and "openness" of an extended frequency response. It would be nice to have the speakers be flat to the limits of today's (~20KHz with CD's) and the near future's (hopefully) higher HF range. Ideally, I would like to use the "full-range" speakers to their natural rolloff limit, and then have a low-pass on the tweeter to match that rolloff slope.

Although the ribbon would be "beamy" in the vertical plane, it wouldn't be necessary to be able to hear it for casual listening. The Raven could, however, open the treble for serious listening in the sweet spot.

With a MMT arrangement and, how small could I make the box and still keep the efficiency around 95+dB? (I assume that it would have to be ported for efficiency and ST compatibility.)

Have you seen any smallish 16-ohm full-range drivers that could be paralleled for 8 ohms to match the Raven?

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.