Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Hedlund horns mod...Excellent in every way!

Hello Miroslav!

Congratulations! Your version of the Hedlunds are beautiful. They are also better than the original Hedlunds in reproducing sound. As they say, where there's a will, there's way! And your way is the best way.

I really like the way you approched this project. You had your doubts about using solid wood for all those curves. Smart man! So you went looking for another solution, one that would be beneficial to the sound. Well, Kruno's advice was right on target: Wood veneers! A great mod! Veneers are stiffer and less resonant than solid wood. They are also less prone to movement with changes in temperature and humidity. The most important benefit of using veneers is this: It's easier than working with solid wood! I mean, all you need is a ruler (straight edge) and a mat knife (or veneer saw). Thus, you avoid making odd-angle, difficult cuts in solid wood with a table saw! That's crazy, if you ask me.

If this was soccer game, the score would be: Croatia 3, Sweden 1. I give Jan Hedlund credit for the design of the speakers. But I give you a higher score for achieving much better sound and picking a much easier construction method. The latter is rather important for DIY speaker builders.

A little bit of advice...
Kruno used a biscuit joiner machine to glue the panels together. However, the space between the biscuits is too long. I would put the biscuits closer to each other to add strength. The width of a hand seems right (3" or 70 to 80mm). Think of this as a form of insurance! It is also a way to avoid problems. Since the biscuits are very inexpensive, it will not add too much to your costs.

Another point...
Walnut and oak are good choices for veneers. However, never pick oily woods for your wood veneers. Oily woods are notoriously difficult to glue, and you need special epoxies (such as G2 brand) to glue them. This is something to keep in mind to avoid problems in the future.

OK, Miroslav! That's it! Once again, congratulations on a job well done. I hope you continue building speakers with Kruno. Maybe you can try variants of other designs as well (Carfrae's Little Big Horn?). Whatever you do, always keep in touch with the people of Audio Asylum.! We enjoy and appreciate your posts! Good luck to both you and Kruno!

My best regards,
Gariver
San Juan, Puerto Rico

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.