High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Rear Panel of a ALTEC VALENCIA , stock or modded??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hi all,

We had a series of tornadoes hit the eastern part of the Kansas City area, two nights ago. Late last night, a fellow put up for sale on Craigslist, a pair of VALENCIAS, showing them in front of his trailer home, whose roof and side wall were missing - blown AWAY while he and his girl friend were inside, ( thinking they were living their last moments on this earth. )

They survived, lovely !!! - and the boyfriend offered his ALTEC Valencias late last night, and I was the first caller.

Picked them up today. Is that " doghouse " on the rear cover STOCK ?? This kid had this pair of ALTECS for ten years, bought 'em from the original owner, and knew little about them.

If that back cover is not stock, it would appear to me that the original owner was modding the Valencias, perhaps to use the slightly larger 802D, ( which has a better, more extended top end than a 806-8A. ) An 806-8A came stock with this speaker.

When the original owner sold these to the trailer - kid, it came with the stock 806-8A, and ( non - stock ) 500 HZ crossovers, on 800 HZ 811 horns inside the enclosures.

IF the " doghouse " in the picture is not STOCK, I am IN BUSINESS .... to add larger 802s that will FIT..

These speakers are for a friend. I am working happily with VOTT A7-800s these days, 515Bs and 802Ds.

But have NO practical experience with Valencias. Can anyone with Valencia experience tell me about the photographed rear cover, stock or modded ?? Many thanks in advance.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 03/09/17

Follow Ups: