Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Craig,

The calculator link I posted was for Paul to see how I was getting the 2.84 value for the tweeter by assuming the tweeter was 16 ohm and knowing that the standard crossover to an EV T35, T35B or T350 tweeter was 3500HZ.
And that 2-way calculator was for the 6 db per octave that is in the Regal with just a cap in series with the tweeter.

Your link and two others I tried for a three way system wouldn't accept a calculation for xovers of 1000 and 3500 HZ. The xover points had to be 3 octaves apart.

The one I used went from 2-way 6 db per octave to a calculator for 3-way 12 db per octave so that didn't help either because with just two caps and two coils you have 6db per octave.

Yes, the "L's" are the coils or inductors.

No, it's not possible to calculate cap or coil values just based on one or the other. They are chosen based on the parameters of the drivers used, the actual crossover frequencies and the slope being 6,12 or 18 db per octave.

The xover can says 1000 and 3500 but I question the 1000 being the actual xover frequency at which point the woofer higher frequencies start to fade out and the lower frequency of the mids start to kick in.

Not being an engineer, what I see is that we aren't dealing with a text book speaker system where everything should fall into place better.
They tried to make a full range system in a small box with woofers that were meant for a vented enclosure or much larger enclosure and they jury rigged it from there to the midrange.

I can believe the 2.84 cap for the 3500HZ xover to the tweeter BUT that reading you came up with of 7 point something is a bit on the low side. I would have thought if the tweeter was 16 ohm the reading would have been at least 10 ohms. Although Paul did find that blurb about actual impedance at the xover.

Paul suggested a diaphram being replaced but those caps sure look factory original to me and I've seen the insides of several old EV and Altec xovers. Plus you had to unwrap them and the pic you first posted looked like a neat untouched factory package.

If EV used a non standard impedance T35B of something other than 8 or 16 ohms, those caps still look original and making the 2.84 the midrange cap would be even more of a mystery.

At this point I'd say it is what you see and go with the cap values that are in there. Measuring the coils for inductance would add missing data but I'm not sure if that would solve the mystery or not.

You said the speakers didn't sound all that good so you should change the caps to see if new ones make an improvement.

I know what the Esquire 200 sounds like but not the Regal 3000111.
I suspect the Regal with the 8" cone mid might sound better to some people but I wouldn't think EV would have had their next up in line from the Esquire not sound as good even it it had that horn mid.

Judging by the other speakers you mentioned, these may not be your cup of tea but they should sound better than RCA console speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll - DaveV 17:58:12 01/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.