Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Looking to integrate units for midbass system

Hi all, first post. I have done live sound on a very part time basis in the near past, more frequently ten years ago, and have considered starting up again. I am posting here instead of on a live sound forum because I hope to interact with designers and builders who have thought these things through a million times, not just repeated what the flavor of the day is a million times.

More recently I have used just two of my tops - Community RS220/SLS920 with EAW SB150z subs (Eighteen Sound 15LW1401 15" - a nice single 15" bass reflex driver unit).

The tops are horn-loaded and padded down about 9dB IIRC just to match the subs. :)

Everything so far is bought and paid for, which is why I am trying to accommodate them.

I have an idea for a larger, all horn-loaded 5-way system, using these tops.

My tops are passive 3-way, they are rated to go down to 150Hz, can comfortably go down to 200-ish, but that crossover point could be moved up a bit if the midbass unit sounds any better. They are nominally about 107dB 1W/1M, but about 103 dB 1W/1M near crossover region.

The subs I will use will be horn-loaded and crossed over at 80 Hz. They are yet to be determined, but likely will be a Danley unit.

So that leaves a nice big opening for a woofer/midbass horn. I am thinking, to be safe, something between 80Hz and 300Hz. That would give me some room to play around with crossing over with the tops.

I would like to come a bit closer to matching the sensitivities beween the tops and the midbass/woofers (around 103dB 1W/1M or greater).

I want something that at least looks somewhat like a conventional speaker. I have looked around and found a DDS midbass horn flare. No idea on pricing, all I got was a busy signal today. There are a few options, one of them being the DVB 15N (70Hx 70V / 22"H x 22"W x 15"D / 15" octagonal entry):
Sensitivity 103.1dB SPL
Nominal Gain +4.1dB
Frequency Range 30Hz - 1kHz
Frequency Response 60Hz - 800Hz
Dispersion 70H x 70V

So I am just in the beginning stages. I am thinking of purchasing a driver like the Eminence Kappalite 3015, then build a suitable volume sealed enclosure which could hold both the horn flare and driver, while keeping it about the size and weight of an EAW SB150z.

In the past I used an old pair of EAW LA400 subs for this purpose, which are folded horns that can produce sound in the midbass region, though the manufacturer doesn't condone it. I got rid of them because I thought they were too large to occasionally use just for that. Also in the past I used to use a pair of Servodrive BT-7 cabs. That was a configuration I was only able to use in a limited number of engagements though.

Edits: 12/03/16 12/03/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Looking to integrate units for midbass system - NoMoreDisasters 17:32:29 12/02/16 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.