Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

IME the room's resonances, spkr positioning, and the speaker's onw Qtc dominate and DF is out of the race

Not HE, and no SET experience, either. SEUL yes.

But I've used critically damped QB3 RB speakers for a long time, carefully positioned at unequal path lengths from side wall, floor and front wall.

When I first put valve power amps into the system, a rebuilt Radford STA15 but still using a VR, there was very little difference in the bass.

But the Radford STA 25 - also provided in the same loan - and with a much higher storage PSU, sounded a whole lot better in the bass. I listen to acoustic organ music at least once a week, so I know how difficult reproducing that is.

I have persisted with rebuilt push-pull classic valve amps ever since, with SR SS diodes and great big PSU caps and high storage.

IME a high storage PSU PP valve amp of even just 20WPC can sound a LOT more powerful, and in control than any similarly powered SS power amp, even a medium power Class-A with a necessarily big PSU.

PSU storage is 1/2 the capacitance times the voltage squared. Valve amps have a big advantage when bass power demands are highest.

My current pair of modified 'once were' LEAK Stereo 20s have an output Z of 1.5 ohms at 100 Hz IIRC when the 8 ohms taps are connected.

I will soon be using them strapped in parallel, giving 40 Watts RMS in pentode, and on their 4 ohm taps, which in parallel is a virtual 2 ohm tap. I don't know how low the opt z will be but it will be low. ? Driving QUAD 63s.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 10/25/16 10/25/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • IME the room's resonances, spkr positioning, and the speaker's onw Qtc dominate and DF is out of the race - Timbo in Oz 20:14:48 10/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.