Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bass control with low powered tube amps

Any tube amp with few exceptions will interact with a woofer and boost bass at speaker impedance peaks, the box resonance and the port resonance. This is true for any amp with high output impedance(low damping factor) tube or not(some solid state amps without negative feedback). How high the bass resonances depends on how high the impedance peaks and how high the output impedance. Wire too thin will increase the affect by making the effective damping factor even higher.

Push/pull tube amps tend to have higher damping factor because they usually use negative feedback where SET amps rarely do. But the damping factor is still poor enough to affect frequency response in almost every case, just less so. The only tube amps I know with little affect are the old Melos amps with a damping factor of 20 but these are very high power pus/pull amps although they are triode output and they do use a fair amount of feedback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bass control with low powered tube amps - hahax@verizon.net 19:35:55 10/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.