Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: EV Sentry IV-A

I too have sentry IV and have been playing with them for many years trying to get them to sound the best they were capable of. I recently went to a high end audio expo and saw a Staccato horn system by Sadurni Acoustics ($40K) and had the wonderful opportunity to talk briefly with the designer himself. He said that one of the key aspects of getting good sound from horns is having the three horns time aligned. In general that would be approximately with the speaker diaphragms in line although he said that exact point may actually appear to be at a point further into the throat of the horn. He said moving the horns slightly might be necessary to find that perfect alignment point. When properly time aligned you will know. So I thought that would be something to try with the Sentrys. You have to then consider that the bottom is a folded horn. The actual horn length is longer than the physical depth of the box enclosure. So this would mean mounting the midrange horn at a position sort of behind the bass enclosure. I didn't see that as practical so I decided to resurrect an old Yamaha DSP that I had to act as a stereo delay for biamping the speakers. My home theater stereo drives the folded bottom and the delay and a small stereo amp drive the mid and tweeter using a stereo preamp feed and 1/4 inch plug into the Sentry crossover Biamp jack. I set the delay for approximately 3 msec then I physically took the tweeter on its bracket and mounted it above the mid horn back a bit so that it's diaphragm is in line with the mid horn diaphragm. Both the mid and tweeter are tilted down a bit toward the listeners level. To me, the result was significant. Imaging greatly improved and the greatest improvement is in transients like drums. Now the tweeter and midrange seem to blend into a single smooth sound source instead of a mid and tweeter. Took a bit to get the levels matched between amps but I really like the results.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: EV Sentry IV-A - Jimporubyanski 11:13:41 10/09/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.