Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: A magnificent headphone system or a marvelous stereo in a crappy room?

I've had big and small speakers in big rooms. The smaller speakers were OK at lower levels but to get higher SPL's the bass gave out or the amp did.

The bigger speakers were more efficient so there was no problem filling the space with sound from a 25 watt/channel amp and the bass was there.

I moved to a smaller house and I now have Model 19's in a second floor room that's about 11' 10" square with slopped ceilings and they coast along filling the room with great sound at peanut wattage.

I've never perceived that the woofer and horn didn't blend as is suggested by some that say you have to sit at least 10 feet away from such speakers.

The two things that I perceive are that some source material with bright horns need to be played a lower levels and that with some source material the bass seems to be too heavy but the majority of the time it's just a matter of how much you want to torture your ears by playing the system louder than you should be.

Sure, I'd like to hear my system in a larger room just to see what it would sound like but I never was "an ideal room fanatic" and never will be.

I've always held that mediocre sounds mediocre in any room and good sounds good in any room. Maybe good can sound best in the right room but finding the equipment and speaker combo that floats your boat is hard enough and costly enough without having to worry about the "perfect room."
When I win the PowerBall I'll have the "Music Room" built and also install a 60 rank residential player pipe organ.

Earphones: I have older Koss electrostats but to me that's like listening through a keyhole and when there's real low bass I want to feel it through the floor and on my chest.

Edits: 09/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A magnificent headphone system or a marvelous stereo in a crappy room? - DaveV 17:59:02 09/15/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.