Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bass reflex vs acoustic suspension vs inf. baffle

To call any closed box an infinite baffle would be to assign an incorrect term. That is what I meant by saying there exists some confusion.

In an infinite baffle, there exists complete separation from the front and back waves of the driver PLUS the fact that there is so much air behind the driver, it has zero influence on the cone.

All sealed box systems have an effect on the driver because of the air behind the driver, in said box. Acoustic suspension devices impact a much greater degree of influence on the driver. It was once considered an acoustic suspension if the alpha factor was at 3, or greater. This definition has been lost over the years.

It is also generally accepted that vented systems, done correctly, are a better match towards higher efficiency. Sealed box proponents attack the vented box in very fashion as that of a political debate, that is, by citing some assumed and incorrect facts, and often times repeat and repeat these notions about "control, tautness and freedom from boom".
The fact is, a proper vented enclosure is difficult to execute, and is
very easy to screw up; hence the "bad press".

The older style large cabinets have a sound quality which can not be matched by puny little Mickey Mouse speaker systems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.