Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

What should I do?

I'm a bit confused.
I used to own modded Lascalas. Split versions.
They use(d) ALK Universal crossovers.
They had only one problem: the bass horns, already prone to rattle, were on top of that in poor condition.
I thought of refurbishing them and add some damping but I bought Peavey FH-1 bass horns instead (I already posted about this).

The problem with Peavey bass horns is that they have a different throat and less 90° bends; they let much more high frequencies go trough.

With the first order ALK crossover, it sounds bad, higher midrange frequencies reproduced by the bass horn sound cavrnous and honky.

I decided the answer was to go active filtering on the bass horns, the rest being connected to the ALK crossovers, a 6ohms resistance in place of the woofer. My active crosover isn't too bad but it still adds some electronic colour to the sound; so I use it only for the low-pass.

Keep in mind the reason I went "active" is not to have more headroom or clarity, I have those in spades; I just needed a steeper filter on the bass horn.

So the midrange high pass is still 6dB/oct at 400Hz, passive.
The bass horn is 12dB/oct at 460Hz (I'm stuck with the 460Hz frequency but as I'm using midrange horns that are supposed to be useable only down to 500Hz -EV SM120A-, I figured using a 460Hz low-pass wouldn't hurt)

The problem i'm having is I lost some substance on the midrange

when I crank it up, it is more obvious: the midrange seems hollow compared to what it used to be.

i figure it might be some phase problem; but I wanna know what's the correct method to determine this.

Do I play some test tone at 460Hz and check wich midrange polarity gives more output? I understand this is extremely basic but I need a starting point...

I also own a car-audio crossover with steeper slopes (24dB Linkwitz-R.) and that one has 0, 90, or 180° phase switch on the low pas; should I use that one instead? (I gave up on using it after I fould the other crossover since the latter is an audiophile model)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - What should I do? - KanedaK 17:07:55 09/08/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.