Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Wiring autoformer as HF attenuator

So you're digging the full range 414 setup? Some do, some don't.

I started messing around with autoformers but haven't finished the experiments. Those German autoformers look very nice. Tempting. I've been using Peerless and old Triads to mess around with.

The way I see it, there are two directions to go, given that the autoformer will step up the impedance the cap looks into. This, of course, will change the crossover frequency for a given cap.

1) One could install a resistor across the primary of the autoformer to give the cap a more stable impedance to work into.

The transformed impedance of the driver will appear in parallel with this resistor Rl, so the impedance will not be perfectly stable with different taps but more so than without it. If/when you settle on a tap, you can calculate the resistor to give exactly the load resistance you need.

2) Let the autoformer transform the impedance to a higher value, measure it with DATS/Woofer Tester, and use a small, high grade cap at that high impedance.

Measuring this, I find maybe 75-125 ohms reflected at potentially useful settings of the autoformer, peaking like crazy with rising frequency. For that reason it might be useful to put a resistor on the secondary side of the autoformer to limit the rise.

The multiplicative effect of the impedance transformation enhances the rising tendency. It won't rise above the value of that added resistor though.

The phase diagram of an impedance sweep on this #2 setup looks quite strange. Not sure what to make of it.

Sounds good this way but I went with #1 because it was more straightforward.

In any case, the challenge is to control the reflected impedance that the cap sees when you change taps.

I need to get back to that project. Got sidelined. Among other things, I would like to measure the acoustic output of the various schemes.

Dave Slagle knows a lot about this, or at least he has been messing with it for a while, so maybe he'll pop in with his observations.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.