Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: "So for a horn loaded driver, round up the DC resistance to the next higher standard: i.e. 8 or 16 Ohms."

b.l.

The T.S. specification Re is the impedance of the driver at 1 Hz, which is generally assumed to be virtually the same as the impedance at 0 Hz which is the DC impedance. If the driver specs are plus or minus 10% tolerance (like the JBL driver Bill linked to here) there seems little practical reason to look for a more accurate Re spec., though anyone is welcome to explore that path. The nominal impedance represents what the driver is doing at work, and you need an accurate figure to design a crossover for the driver. The ubiquitous Electro-Voice T35 horn tweeter will measure 6+ Ohms DCR in it's 8 Ohm version, and about 12+ Ohms DCR for the 16 Ohm version, while the nominal impedances of 8 and 16 Ohms will give accurate results when used to design crossover points for them in my experience. I'm unfamiliar with the Beyma driver you mention here, and a google search turned up this post (!). so I can't speak to the accuracy of their specs. In general, T.S. specs tend to be fairly accurate when comparing different drivers within a manufacturers line for the big guys like EV or JBL, but somewhat less so when comparing drivers by different manufacturers to each other.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "So for a horn loaded driver, round up the DC resistance to the next higher standard: i.e. 8 or 16 Ohms." - Paul Eizik 10:54:19 07/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.