Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bypassing Crossover Capacitors

Truth is, no one cap " does it all " and plays in ALL ranges with the utmost of energy, color, vividness.

If, however, I was going to go the " one cap" route, I would suggest the Mundorf M Cap Supereme, Silver, Oil and Gold at the 1200 VDC rating !! No doubt in my mind.

I personally don't have the budget for the best caps, so, I multiple-bypass every cap in every position, in amps and speakers. BUT, it has to be done carefully, on a high quality system, and by your EAR - as the final arbitrator.

The bypass VALUEs you select are critical - to avoid overlap and loss of coherency. Usually, with all else equal, higher-voltage-rating-caps do sound better on my highly optimized A7-800 crossovers !! I'm " into " 1,000 VDC and 1,600 VDC rated caps in my crossovers these days. No contest to my ear, versus SAME cap in, say, a 250 VDC rating.

One other important thing I easily hear on my A7s, a TIP :

I find that whatever I do in the 12 dB realm, bypass-cap-wise for the tweeter, the SAME EXACT bypass VALUES and VDC ratings MUST be applied to the other driver's cap bank, ie : for the woofer's film cap bypassing !!!!!!!

Have FUN !!

Jeff Medwin

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/279373-using-higher-voltage-rated-film-caps-altec-crossovers.html

Edits: 06/26/16 06/26/16 06/27/16 07/06/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bypassing Crossover Capacitors - drlowmu 07:23:29 06/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.