Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

scored a nice pair of 96dB proel 8" 2 ways for $120 shipped

i joined the asylum to try and give everyone a heads up on an amazing deal i scored at MCM electronics, but by the time i'd created this account, they were already sold out, so i guess i'll just share my experience and give a brief review.

the speakers are italian brand proel FLASH8P PA 2 ways rated at 96dB from 70-20kHz. they use celestion 8" woofers and titanium compression drivers and have re-enforced ported plastic cabinets.

i've been planning a bicycle trailer system around a pair of sealed 2x12" cabs with high efficiency woofers crossed over around 2,500Hz to 96dB $70ea air motion tweeters in a biamped system, but when i saw MCM had these for $50 each with a limited supply, i had to move as these will make better full range satellites that can be mounted on speaker posts where sealed 8" high efficiency drivers alone cost nearly as much without tweeters, crossovers and cabinets and don't go lower than 500Hz.

i'm using them nearfield with my PC using a cheap little technics receiver i bought used for $20. they were a great investment and seem to dig deeper than their 70Hz rating with far more bass than similarly rated, for frequency response, NHT super zeros. i have a hard time imagining finding a better pair of new speakers for the same price.

at the lower volume levels i'm using them, they sound a little thick and lacking in midrange low level resolution, but they have a nice smooth treble that clicks faster than soft domes, with a similar soft balance at low levels. i hesitate to call them hifi, at low levels, but they image decent enough nearfield with nice depth in particular and sound especially nice & smooth on sultry female vocals.

they took the better part of a week to open up to acceptable low level resolution, but overall are pretty satisfying with a very laid back sound that's neither spitty as i'd expect from a horn tweeter, nor as thin sounding as i'd expect from a speaker rated only down to 70Hz. they fare much more open sounding at volume from the brief snippets at higher volumes i've heard, an i expect that some of the thickening of the sound is due to the receiver which needs to be set at its lowest volume to get the best balance and air while sounding excessively warm pushing the volume control regardless of input level. they might sound a lot better with a class D amp.

bottom line, they were a steal at $100 for the pair. i can't picture anything else having as much top to bottom resolution and ease with reasonably neutral cabinets at the price, much less approach the efficiency.

these are my first pair of speakers rated higher than 91dB. i can't wait to toss them in a trailer and eventually plug their ports and add 2-4 sealed 12s as subs.

i only wish i'd gotten them sooner so i could give everyone a heads up on a great high efficiency satellite deal

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - scored a nice pair of 96dB proel 8" 2 ways for $120 shipped - thump 02:22:34 04/24/16 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.