Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Onken Suggestions

I currently have a set of small horn loaded speakers but have been researching a DIY large Onken project using very high quality parts for a truly world class horn setup. I really like the nostalgic look and was thinking about doing a 15" Altec 416 type driver in an Onken cabinet with TAD 2002 drivers and large wood multi-cell horns. My father is an experienced woodworker and electronics person so I'm looking for guidance on what combination will work/sound the best.

Here are the main requirements I am looking for:
1) High sensitivity and a very easy load (100db+ so I can drive it well with my 300B Border Patrol amp)
2) Deep and tight bass down to 30hz
3) Fast bass that will integrate seamlessly with the mid/high frequency horn
4) Room size 18x26 with 11ft ceilings
5) Budget up to $7500 including the crossovers (I have a line on some good used TAD 2002s for $2K)

My first question is what is the best bass driver for a big Onken and would an 8 vs 16 ohm driver be preferred? Some of the choices I had in mind are GPA 416 8B or 16B, Supravox 400-2000 or TAD 1601.

Secondly, I was inputting the specs on each woofer into this Onken calculator but it keeps giving me error calcs on most port sizes?
http://www.mh-audio.nl/Onken_br.asp

Third, I would like to do a simple 2 way crossover with high quality but not crazy expensive components. What type of 2 way format is recommended and what crossover point on the TAD 2002?

I found some really nice looking wood multi-cell horns from a German seller on Ebay (baagersepp). Would a simple 8 cell sound best or should I go for the larger Altec 1005B type horns?

A lot of questions I know but anyone with experience building the Onken please chime in.

Thanks,

Ed

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Onken Suggestions - JazzGuy39 22:53:51 01/11/16 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.