Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Dayton D250P/MCM 55-1880 Econowave update Part 2.

well, it's been a few days since I posted that update after getting these drivers and basic 1st order Xover up and running.

first off, that 55-1880 woofer is taking forever to break in. I had to play some rap music with some crazy bass to start getting them going. 1 day of that and they are finally starting to sound how I thought they would.

The Dayton D250P on the QSC CD horn has turned out to be a really big surprise for me (I still may go either GPA 902's or Radian 475BP's). I didn't think it would sound this good and it's still breaking in. This may not be a ultra Compression Driver but for what I paid and is working well to my ears with the QSC horn. At first it was bright and lifeless. Now it's starting to sound really nice and no hint of harshness. Still a tad on the bright side but once the CD is fully broken in with Xover and MCM woofer, I think I may have something nice. I'm really starting to enjoy the sound of these speakers. Love that horn sound! :)

The MCM 55-1880 is working really well with the Dayton D250 and QSC horn so far and hopefully it keep going in the direction it is. The MCM is handling the upper end of the low end pretty good. I have not heard any break up or straining at all. actually, this woofer is reminding me a lot of the Altec 416 woofers that I have heard in my friends system.

Over all this project is starting to sound like the Altec model 14's I had before and regret getting rid of. I also have heard the Model 19's so this project is heading in that direction sound wise. Not saying it sounds exactly like the Altec Model 19's but it sure is reminding a lot of my 14's and the 19's I have heard before. Also, I have a pair of Altec 511b horns (Green) that I may clean up and try out if I do get the GPA 902's down the road. So that will be interesting to hear with MCM woofers.

So since these are sounding the way they are, I will go ahead and get to work on either making some cabs or just buying the Knock Downs from Parts Express since their dimensions are very close to what I had done in the winISD software for the MCM 55-1880 to get a little lower frequency.

I will not be mounting the QSC inside the cab but on top of it like I have it now.

Again, I highly recommend the Duelund Alexander caps on the horns. The upper end sounds so nice and no harshness at all. I have the Alexanders in parallel with the Solen caps. This worked out pretty good. I may still try some Audyn caps in place of the Solens later on down the road once I start tweaking this Xover and when I make the Z19 xover that Zilch designed.

I'm just posting this to help out others that have asked about this MCM 55-1880 woofer since there is not much on them on internet.

I will post back when I start the final build of the cabs and start the veneering. I'm still up in the air about leaving the cabs exposed to see the drivers or putting a see through cloth grill on them.

Edits: 07/16/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Dayton D250P/MCM 55-1880 Econowave update Part 2. - Cougar 21:35:38 07/15/15 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.