Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: MCM Select 55-1880 15" woofer for Econowave project? UPDATE!

Hello all,
I know it's been a while since I posted on this project and things have come up that have kept setting me be back on the start of this project.

This week I finally got around to starting this project. I first built a 1st order Xover with the xover point at 1.5khz. I know this may be a little on the high side for this MCM 55-1880 woofer but as far as the specs and winISD software it seemed it would be ok. but this isn't going to be the final xover anyways so the Xover point will change. So far so good with the 1st order Xover.

I installed the Dayton D250P on the QSC CD horn and was breaking it in for 2 days. Today I made (don't laugh) a Box made from heavy thick cardboard for just a rough draft BOX for the MCM 55-1880 since it was the size that was suggested by winISD. I didn't want to be cutting wood/MDF board and it not work out. That's too much time and wood since I have not much time I thought this would be the fastest and more easy on the wallet.

I put the woofer in and set up the QSC horn top and let it go! At First there was almost zero hint of bass but that was due to the woofer being so stiff but after a few hours the bass started to come in little by little.

After 4 hours the speaker is starting to have some of that magic the horns in a 2 way system have. It kind of reminds me of my Altec Model 14's I used to have. So far I have been taking it easy on them but will try to do some serious listening tomorrow.

This week I will start building the Z19 Xover that was planned for this project to begin with and hopefully I will have it done by the end of the week. Then I can get a more better idea of what this project will come out sounding like. So far I really like the direction this project with the 1st order Xover is going. I have the Dayton D250P/QSC horn cap parts are Solen the Duelund Alexander caps I left over from the Aikido preamp (that still isn't done yet). Those Alexander caps are really nice and I strongly recommend them on the HF portion of the xover.

I will try to post back later next week with another update.

Thank everyone!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MCM Select 55-1880 15" woofer for Econowave project? UPDATE! - Cougar 15:59:29 07/11/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.