Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Do all wideband drivers have rising response?

The ones I have measured (Fostex, Lowther) do, except for one the 8" Supravox field coil. That was pretty flat from 50-8K. Though that was a long time ago.

A rep for SEAS once told me that it is a matter of physics that any truly wideband driver will have rising response (and I'm not talking about peaks, but a rise in mean level from, say, 100 Hz to 2 Khz+). He said this after they had just released their own highly-regarded 8" widebander.

Is it true that the flux density required for a high-eff, wideband cone will always produce a rising response, to some degree at least? Why?

(Note: I'm aware that in-room response of many a widebander-based speaker can be surprisingly flat, due to various factors - I'm just taking about the drivers.)

(Note 2: This type of rising response can't really be corrected by rear-horn-loading, which only affects a couple octaves. Now, if you front-load it too, like a Beauhorn...)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Do all wideband drivers have rising response? - PaulF70 20:38:44 02/15/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.