Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How to raise the total resistance of a speaker

In general, the speaker's impedance is established at the design phase, and it's hard to modify it after the fact.

Adding an autoformer, as has been mentioned, is one way.

In theory one could also add series resistance, BUT this will raise the effective Qes of the woofer and therefore the woofer/box interaction changes. And unless the original impedance curve was extremely smooth, the frequency response will probably change a bit. And finally, any additional amplifier power you might get from an OTL amp is wasted in heating up the resistor.

I design speakers specifically to work well with both solid-state amps and Atma-Sphere amps, and this starts with driver choice and continues through the crossover design stage, where a fair amount of attention has to be focused on the impedance curve (as well as on the frequency response curve). Then the enclosure design must take the effects of widely differing amplifier damping factors into account, if it's going to work with amps at both extremes.

Imo, ime, ymmv.

Duke

Me being a dealer makes you leery?? It gets worse... I'm a manufacturer too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.