Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Building a desktop system

While my Audio Research > Bryston > Acoustat system is in storage, I'm building a new set of gear for my desktop. Given the scale, I'm thinking of a small tube amp, with speakers to match. Very simple and musical.

I tend to listen to jazz (not just small ensembles), country, blues, and chamber music, but I'd like gear that can also serve up some late 19th c. symphonies and large scale rock 'n' roll like the Grateful Dead. I used to play bass, so there's usually some solo bass (e.g. Dave Holland) in a week's listening, and I'm partial to the lower frequencies in general: tuba, french horn, trombone, bari sax, left-hand on piano, etc. So it's important to get those instruments right -- timbre, attack & decay. I want to hear the sync between a double bass & bass drum as two instruments, for instance. That's not necessarily the same as big bass, in my book.

Speakers that interest me so far include the Omega Super 3 Desktop, Tekton Mini Lore Monitor, Decware Trapezium, Zu Cube, and Blumenstein Orcas. Blumenstein and Zu seem pretty explicit about the need for a subwoofer, so I'm wondering about that, too. Amps so far are the Decware SE84CKC, what was known as the MiniWatt and now the APPJ PA0901A (I think), the Xindek MT-1, and the Jolida FX-10.

I've only read about these. Although I'm in suburban Chicago, the 3rd largest metro area in the country, so far as I can tell none of these manufacturers have dealers. Decware's Peoria headquarters would be a day trip.

I already have a small DAC, the Meridian Explorer, the Klipsch X11 in-ears, and an 8 GB MacBook Pro running Audirvana+.

Eager to hear anyone's experiences with this gear, further alternative choices, and any suggestions as to how I could audition some of this wonderful gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Building a desktop system - ozoid 00:30:56 10/22/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.