Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

slot loaded OB

Hello all,

I've looked at a couple of these projects with interest. These use woofers side on, firing (push pull) into narrow manifolds, so that from the listening position all you see is a baffle with a narrow vertical slot. Ztransform on diy audio forum has done one I was most impressed by.

One limitation seems to be driver size - too big means a deep slot, which means you have to cross them very low. So for higher displacement, you need more drivers, rather than bigger drivers.

I'm curious about the possibility of using two or more slots rather than the normal one, for example to squeeze an array of 16 woofers into the "stand" of a front horn (such as Azura or Oris). It seems like an obvious way to get more spl and or less distortion in the same bulk. It would have half the front area and much better WAF than a 4*4 array on a flat or U-shaped OB.

Apart from the obvious (twice the cost and build time) would there be any drawback in going from one to two+ slots?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - slot loaded OB - hollowboy 00:04:23 10/03/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.