Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Zu Omen standard - help with set up..

inmates,

help me save my Zu Omens I don't want to give up on them yet... :)

Are their any Omens Standard owners who can lend any advice or offer suggestions on placement, set up and or tweaks I am.having problems with lack of "tight" mid- bass.

My apologies for posting multiple times about the same topic, but I want to see if I can get any help...I am thinking differently about my speakers. Asking the question from a different standpoint basically..

I keep reading many positive descriptions about Zu Omen sound and in particular the area which I am struggling with (bass) is supposed to be quite good and tight as reported by some inmates and read on other forums. So I think I have some other issue in my set up. I was actually thinking of searching out another product, or as some suggested in the last post, was investigate sub woofers..(probably wont do that)

I found some posts that mention the venting port on the bottom and hardwood floors (which I am on). The Instructions from Zu say to leave a space on the bottom about the thickness of a CD and I have my hardwood spikes at the highest limit it seems about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch raised off the floor..

Some users say they used bolts to get as much as 3 inches off the floor and moved their speakers a number of feet away from the wall (I may not be able to do this due to room constraints) and that these moves improved the bass, made it less boomy and tighter. This may be the problem I am having, however, unless I don't understand the venting theory (room loading) I thought that all those ideas would actually make the bass less tight.. I thought moving closer to a wall or corner would make it more tight and less floor gap on the room loading would be preferable for tight bass.

I want to emphasize like in my last post, that there is no "lack of bass," and in fact I sense good articulate bass, but it just seems like that mid bass portion is not there, there is no kick or "punch" However as I said before, it seems like from what everyone describes, is that these speakers are actually quite tight in the bass region, so I am scratching my head...

I am using a push pull 6l6 amp about 40-50 watts I have tried both 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps, not sure if I can sense any difference there. I have also set it up with an el84 push pull 20 watt amp, with only minor differences in sound, just different dynamics really no huge change in the bass response. The room is quite small maybe barely 200 square feet?

Any ideas or similar problems to report on these speakers would be appreciated. I am not good with speakers, rarely am I in this forum, my knowledge is more about vintage tube gear than speakers..

thanks in advance

J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Zu Omen standard - help with set up.. - mr9iron 16:07:30 07/09/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.