Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Comments on tapped horn aspect of Synergy horn

It finally dawned on me that the Danley Synergy horn such as the SH-50 integrates a tapped horn aspect to extend low response. Note that in the SH50 there is an opening at the front of the 12" low driver, and then another opening, closer to the mouth of the horn, that is on the wall adjacent to the 12" driver, which is apparently a tapped horn extension of some sort.

Looking at photos of internal construction, it appears that this final port is not really connected to anything -- that the entire cabinet works as an enclosure for something like a typical bass-reflex port. However, the port itself doesn't seem to have any depth, but is just a hole (it seems to have some length in the molded synergy horn). It is much simpler than it seems like it should be. Also, in some diagrams, it shows that the cabinet is actually not sealed, but has open holes to the outside! (Carrying handles for the touring version.) I suppose this is just an error -- that the cabinet is in fact sealed. Anyway, I've heard a lot of comments on the front-horn-loaded aspect of the Synergy horn but little about the tapped horn element. Apparently it is the integration of the tapped horn element that separates the "Synergy" from the "Unity" nomenclature.

Edits: 04/05/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Comments on tapped horn aspect of Synergy horn - nl 05:17:31 04/05/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.