Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: hi-res lp digitizer

I agree with most comments regarding the DA-3000. Like I said, double DSD sounds best, and I see no reason to record from vinyl using a sub-optimal format. Input cables (good XLR) and everything else upstream up to the cartridge also play a role. I think it likes a good power cord and a bit of damping at the top. Good feet/shelf. Some power cleaning seems good also - I have not experimented much.

Even if I cannot record directly to the USB disk, it is easy to copy over from a card. I find the USB connection very useful, since it means that the Tascam can be used as a standalone DSD player with a huge library of files. My Wireless 2 TB disk does the job well, except that it loses contact with the Tascam now and then. Turning the Tascam off and back on (and, sometimes, press the button on the disk) gets in back in shape.

The recordings are so good that they almost replace my vinyl records. I did a calculation, and found that, with an expensive cartridge and riaa, the probable cost of playing an hour of recorded vinyl versus an hour of vinyl direct is in the region of 1/10 to 1/20. Assuming that repair costs are reasonable for the Tascam. So in a way, I am sad that I still turn to my turntable to get the very best playback.

It may be that some of the shortcomings I hear, on the recordings, are due to the Tascam's D-A conversion. That would add to future value, I could get a better DAC later on. The most important thing, for now, would probably be to improve the A-D conversion, since this is what will be "forever recorded". But I have not seen anyone doing that modification.

Edits: 12/21/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: hi-res lp digitizer - Ogh 10:04:17 12/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.