Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: doing the hdcp dance?

Yeah, I just meant that choosing the source on the pre-pro remote won't select video between Fibe TV and the Oppo when selecting a source from the Oppo - although I suspect that the Fibe TV remote will select the right input for TV: it usually does on my Samsung plasma - but then that's the default set on the TV. But I really don't know, maybe this TV can be set to search HDMI inputs for a signal?

Actually the Anthem can only use composite for the menus; but it does display the menu line by line on the front cover so I don't absolutely have to do that. On the other hand, once you select HDMI as the normal mode of operation hdcp will often block or degrade the component video output. Oppo suggests connecting component for backup access to the menu with HDMI as well.

I don't see the practical point of a converter between the Oppo and the Anthem: I could get 1080p video via component, but I have no idea what the LG oled would do with that - and I've already got it through HDMI from the Oppo to the TV. I really think I'll be pulling out the component cables.

Any audio source the Anthem can digitally process can be sent over the coaxial cable (with one exception, see below). Luckily - the specs aren't clear on this - the Anthem can handle a 24/192 signal over coax. I'll set up the DVD source this way. Obviously using the newer HD versions of DTS and Dolby on Blu-ray I'm restricted to the Oppo's analog outputs, but then the Anthem lacks the codecs for them anyway. What I could do though is set up the 5.1 input in the Anthem to re-digitize the analog output from the Oppo (5.1 input on the Anthem) and apply the Anthem's THX post-processing to Dolby-HD and DTS-HD. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm willing to bet that it would improve the sound on some movies. It would mean diving into the Anthem's menu before and after the movie, so it would have to be a pretty special movie.

Edits: 12/17/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: doing the hdcp dance? - Jim Pearce 20:29:23 12/17/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.