Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Mytek and Lampizator use Dop. nt

" why would it use DoP to an external DSD dac for native DSD files"

The answer is pretty straightforward. Sony have no control over the DAC selected by he user (the box in this case, not chip). Virtually all DSD DACs that have inputs which accept DSD do so by using DoP. It is now the effective international standard. So Sony selected the only commercially viable option.

Even given your earlier scenario of a dedicated DAC for DSD (and another for PCM), you would still have to find a way of getting the DSD data to the DAC from the player and the primary contender would be DoP. As far as I am aware the only alternative would be HDMI which, aside from its own non-ideal aspects, would involve packing the DSD data in accordance with the HDMI protocol as apposed to that of DoP. Six of one and half a dozen of the other (do you use that idiom in US English?).

A server/DAC? Well there are DSD streamer DACs around e.g. dCS Rossini which also does PCM in the form of upsampled DXD.

Earlier you spoke about (avoiding) multiple conversions. DoP does not involve converting the DSD data, it just defines how it is packed for the carrier medium.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.