Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Higher "Rez" Seems to Offer Lower Overall Quality

I really like the looks of the Manhattan. I've never heard one but it seems to have every type of input and output I would need including an optional phono stage. I was really thinking of buying one about a year ago but I didn't want to spend $5k.

I found another DAC that completely satisfies my ears and it cost 1/5th the price of the Manhattan. Besides being an excellent sounding DAC, it is also an autonomous digital player as well as a digital recorder. I bought it to copy vinyl to DSD-5.6MHz, but it serves as an excellent digital player, too. It is the TASCAM DA-3000 DSD recorder.

> I've never heard anything like the quality of sound produced, by [the Manhattan], particularly the open, airy,
> shimmery highs such as cymbals. Also, the bass, oh my, the bass pressurization was so frigging deep and visceral.

I feel exactly the same about my TASCAM DA-3000, but I don't know how it compares to the Manhattan because I've never heard a Manhattan. The TASCAM produces exquisite highs and deep, tight, natural bass. It makes very accurate and transparent copies of vinyl, the best I've ever heard. The best part about the TASCAM DA-3000 is that it costs only $1000. Therefore, if you're on a tight budget but you want high-end sound quality, check out the TASCAM DA-3000 DSD recorder. It is really much more than just a digital recorder. It is also an autonomous digital player that accepts a USB flash drive directly into its front-panel USB port for playback of PCM up to 24/192 as well as DSD-2.8MHz and 5.6MHz. It can also be used as a DAC for streaming from an external source.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Higher "Rez" Seems to Offer Lower Overall Quality - John Elison 12:55:54 10/04/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.