Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Bwahahahah!

Okay so I changed player software and got .dsf files working.For anyone unfamiliar with .dsf files they are basically a direct SACD DSD rip. To me this type of file sounds AT LEAST as good as the .flac files containing 16/44 sound.

Specifically I listened to "Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon" and "Eagles-Hotel California". Compared to their CD sourced counterparts they seemed to sound more like the vinyl versions of each, minus the crackle, groove noise, inner groove loss of resolution, etc. That being said I could not hear a huge difference difference between the two and I could imagine easily failing an ABX test comparing them.

Looking at the SACD catalog I am disappointed to see that virtually all releases are classical, jazz, and 60s-80s pop/rock. My interests only include the third one and nothing from those time period has really great holographic imaging or inner detail. Its not like I'm going to find "Hellyeah", "System of a Down", or anything current on SACD. The fact remains that SACD did not replace CD because it failed to wow anybody in a way that CDs didn't. I know someone said that SACD is more aimed at audiophiles, which I will agree are few in number, but what about the vast number of tube amplifiers that are mostly only of interest to that group? I would argue that there are more makes and models of tube amplifiers in existence that there are albums that have been released in SACD or any other high resolution format for that matter. BluRay Audio? Really?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.