Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Looking for inmate opinions about multichannel

I do not agree in most all respects. First, the center channel is important in conveying the Mch image. That is just as true for music as it is with HT. Listening to any of the old 3.0 recordings from RCA or Mercury vs. their 2.0 equivalents from the same SACD remaster makes this quite obvious.

Phantom imaging of the center channel, as in 4.0, is simply inferior. In discrete Mch recordings, there is unique information captured by mikes at the center that is not adequately reproduced via phantom imaging. And, most 4.0 remasters of quad-era music suffer from a hole in the middle effect compared to modern 5.0/.1 recordings.

I also do not think disconnecting or shunting unused channels is at all necessary when listening to stereo via a Mch system. Suffient shunt of the center and surround speakers occurs in stereo listening by virtue of their connection to their respective amps, particularly if they are left on in stereo listening. So, I think this notion is a wild goose chase based on completely mythological and unproven ideas.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.