Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I LOVE my five-channel system and simply don't buy 2-channel music...

...unless that's the only format in which it's available*.

I started my MC system decades ago by adding video to my audio system, then a MC processor, more (inexpensive, it turned out) monoamps**, and soon thereafter, built-in, full-range surround speakers in a dedicated room. I now have a much-improved c-j MET1 all-analog, 6-channel, vacuum-tubed preamp that sounds superb in two- and multichannel, excellent left/right-front amps and speakers, an excellent c-j MC poweramp, a humble-but-improved Vandersteen VCC-1 centerchannel speaker, a pair of Rythmik F15HP subwoofers on the back wall, and those same built-in surround speakers.

I don't use the '.1' channel, designating that in my Oppo '105D discplayer to be added to the main-front channels; I run my stereo subwoofers in parallel with the main-front channels.

Unless I were forced by an act of God to live in an 8-by-10-foot cell, I'd never revert to a 2-channel-only system, as MC recordings are LOTS more natural and spacious sounding than two-channel for the large-scale Classical music I love.

My c-j MET1 preamp has an Ambient Recovery Mode for 2-channel sources. When it's adjusted correctly, with the center and surround levels at moderate and low levels, respectively, it adds a touch of spaciousness that's close enough to the quality of MC originals that it's useful. Also, the ARM is excellent at creating a center-dialog channel from stereo TV broadcasts that sounds MUCH better than that dialog in only stereo.

I find that Classical-music lovers who listen to my system love its sounds, but they also seem SO dead set against doing anything to their beloved 2-channel setup that they stick with 2-channel. FWIW, I do NOT believe that one needs five identical speakers for effective MC sound, and I prefer diffuse surround sound rather than locationally specific surround sound.

Perhaps because it's most pervasive, I prefer SACD for MC sound over DVD-As or Blu-ray Audio discs, altho I think there's nothing wrong with the latter format--there's just not much available on it.

If you're ever in Phoenix, you're welcome to hear my system.

--------

* ...just as I don't buy DVDs either, if the source is available in Blu-ray.

** Marantz MA-500s, and I still have some on the retired-equipment shelf.

Edits: 09/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.