Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Looking for inmate opinions about multichannel

My music system is stereo only, but I've always been intrigued by the prospect of multichannel, especially since I already have a substantial collection of SACDs. Problem is, there's no good way to "test drive" a multichannel system in one's home. The conversion would be dramatic (and probably fairly expensive), and what if I hate the results?

(BTW, I've never had the opportunity to hear a demo of a serious multichannel rig, either at a dealer or in anyone's home. Is there a dealer in the Atlanta area that can demo discrete multichannel discs?)

So I'm curious to hear from other classical music lovers who have made the transition to multichannel. Did it transform the listening experience? Did you dislike it to the point where you went back to stereo?

Also, I'd be curious to hear opinions about multichannel sound synthesized from two channel recording, such as Yamaha's DSP soundfield modes or NAD's music modes. Are any of them worthwhile, or do they sound too phony to bother with?

Thanks for any input you care to provide.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Looking for inmate opinions about multichannel - Doktor Brahms 10:09:33 09/21/16 (63)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.