Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Karajan's Beethoven on BluRay

Good post. Yes, a good remastering is a good remastering irrespective of source. You make me open to trying the BluRay Karajan just to find out how good it is. However I cannot figure any way of integrating a BluRay player with my audio system due to the need for a screen to navigate the disc, without even considering the connectivity issue.

Digital recording moves on and one difficulty concerning digital archive material produced from analogue originals is the technology that was available at the time. This means that much material is archived at 16/48 or 20/48. But, as good is good, my objection is really with some record company's weasel words used to trick punters into buying something that they are not actually getting. 16/48 in a 24/96 downloaded wrapper is not 24/96 IMO.

It is also worth remarking that the oxide shedding that affects many old analogue tapes is not universal and relates particularly to one brand. Furthermore it seems that analogue masters deemed unsuitable for playing one day ( e.g the stated need to use digital masters for The Beatles Stereo and Mono CD re-issues) somehow become playable later (the mastering of The Beatles Mono on vinyl box set).

OK, analogue tapes won't last forever. But we haven't yet quite reached that point for everything and I believe that mastering solely from digital sources, irrespective of the purpose, is often just company policy rather than a judgement on the state of the particular analogue master in question.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Karajan's Beethoven on BluRay - PAR 04:02:38 07/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.