Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: So what's going on with Blue Ray Audio discs?

Sure, I have some. Kal likely has...tons. Lots of music more to his taste on BD than there is of mine.

For one thing, they can be a bit expensive for the average consumer. They sure don't get much prominence in stores.

For another, the QC at the company who makes many that I have is deplorable, from the quality of BD blanks, to the quality of the source files used to create the masters, to the provenance of the sources, to the idiotic authoring. So many things to not like about them... Have you ever heard a BDP playing an "out-of-round" disc? Besides being ridiculously noisy, what with the laser servo motor continually buzzing around, it can't be good for the spindle motor either. Too much garbage and we'll get another DVD-A fiasco.

That said, many are made by reputable companies, and I'm very happy with them. I have even found a new appreciation for some tunes in the new mch mix, tunes I didn't much like before. Some of the mch mixes are truly excellent, done by people who get the sensibilities of the originals and aren't just making another "product".

I do not have a decent (to me) HDMI-input DAC. I use an HDMI audio stripper to get the DSD and 24/96 or 24/192 stereo audio off the BDs. It is usually pretty decent, worth the small effort. The hi-rez stereo mixes are *sometimes* quite different than the mch ones, and I mean not in the obvious way, such that I'm sure the same person didn't do them...I sometimes have a problem with that...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: So what's going on with Blue Ray Audio discs? - cfraser 15:05:59 05/16/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.