Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Ode to Pentatone!

With all the talk of other labels (Channel?) pulling the plug on SACD, it seems Pentatone, judging by the rapidly accelarating pace of new releases, is going strong.

Pentatone has such a long tradition of excellence. They were the recording arm of the legendary Phillips Classics label. When the label stopped recording in the late 1990's (after the Universal merger) the recording team staged an employee-buyout, where they bought all their recording equipment and struck out on their own re-christened as Pentatone, with the mission of recording in DSD multi-channel.

In the past seventeen years Pentatone has become one of the premier SACD recording companies with a strong commitment to the format and multi-channel recording. Pentatone has in just a decade and a half created a rich and varied catalog of recordings, both new recordings and multi-channel releases of older analog recordings.

Furthermore, the quality of their output has been going from strength to strength. I was blown away by the new Pentatone recording of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite conducted by Andres Orozco-Estrada and featuring the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra. After a subtle start, Andres built the pieces musical strand by musical strand into masterpieces of earth shattering power and beauty! I have never heard a more thrilling or realistic sounding recording of these works.

Moreover, I have been deeply impressed by Pentatone's recent quadrophonic releases of repetoire as varied as Kempff's magnificent Liszt recital, Echenbach's performace of Beethoven Concerti and Vasary's performance of Mozart Concerti. I am excited that these legendary recordings are being released in quadrophonic sound (most for the first time)!

With their strong schedule of new releases and quad re-releases, Pentatone has embraced multi-channel SACD and run with the format! I cannot thank them enough!

I would also like to plug the current Pentatone Sale at Arkiv music. By supporting the label, we will ensure that all those new SACD releases keep coming from Pentatone.

Edits: 05/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Ode to Pentatone! - layman 07:52:45 05/12/16 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.