Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Channel Classics getting out of SACD mostly

The situation with Oppo is pretty straightforward. They don't use a dedicated SACD mechanism. As their machines are multi-media players they must use a DVD type of mechanism which also enables laser light of two wavelengths to cater for CD/DVD or Bluray/SACD replay. This would enable them to use e.g. a Mediatek multi purpose chip or similar. The need for a shorter laser wavelength than required for CD in order to replay SACD means that standard CD-ROM drives are not usable for SACD replay.

Incidentally have checked on the Sony SCD-XE800 SACD player. It seems to be (or have been) a Japan and Europe only item. Although it appears in the catalogues of Sony's European divisions I am unable to find a new one for sale anywhere. It was introduced in 2010/2011 and 6 years or so is an unfeasibly long time for any product to remain in a major Japanese manufacturer's listing. I suspect that it remains effectively as vaporware only. Sony did the same thing with the XA5400ES which remained in the UK catalogue for at least two years without any pieces actually being available. For products of big Japanese corporations supply can be exhausted before the marketing cycle has concluded. It is very rare for further batches to be made as their production capacity is already occupied with newer lines.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.