Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Basically, I don't disagree with anything you say

Part of the "disappointment" with 16/44 CDs or files compared to DSD or higher bit depths/sample rate PCM can be attributed to the sample rate (down)conversion, dithering and noiseshaping choices made by the mastering engineer. There are many ways to get to the final result, and poor algorithms or inappropriate choices in filter steepness and phase characteristics lead to rather nasty artefacts which show up as "harshness" and all the bad things one reads constantly about CD audio.
When upsampling or format converting, you may get a more subjectively pleasing result, but it can't undo the original damage (including embedded jitter from the ADC stage).

On my reference system, I can produce 16/44 files that are virtually indistinguishable from the high resolution masters (which are indistinguishable from the source). Close A/B comparisons can show up the differences, but played in isolation they are sufficiently close that guess work would be required unless one was intimately familiar with the source to know what to listen for.
Regards Anthony

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." Keats

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.