Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: HFPA Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (2014 Remaster BD) - Comments?

Many have compared it to the SACD, and say it's at least the equal in SQ, but the (re-)mastering is better, to give the BD a notch advantage.

I have no real idea myself, because though I've heard the SACD and thought it was OK, I was a "dealer" and it wasn't something I wanted for myself, not at what I could get for it from people who'd appreciate it. I decided to try the HFPA BD because it was cheap, and I wanted to expand my BD/surround music library a bit lately.

Never heard the DVD-A, didn't even know/remember there was one. It must be uncommon (compared to the SACD) and or popular because I never got one in used.

The HFPA BD has the awkward access that most DVD-As have, seems laid out pretty much the same...not as advanced as most other-brand music BDs. It is hard for me to find out exactly what Bob Ludwig did for this 2014 version, but best I can tell he didn't "re-design" the surround nature of the mix, but rather re-mixed/mastered the audio. Like he didn't change what sound was here or there in surround, he just changed the sound. Does that make sense? I have nothing else to compare with. You can tell I've spent lots of time in the studio... :)

There is a new stereo mix too, which is also on the BD in a few different formats (also available on CD), which I haven't listened to on my stereo system yet (much better SQ than my mch system).

So...I haven't said anything about the SQ. That's because I have no opinion yet, no reference as to how the music sounded when new on LP to even start to judge. Let's just say it doesn't immediately knock me out, unlike what the newish Bob Marley Legend audio-BD SQ does. GYBR does have a fair number of tunes I like, typically not the hits off it, but I think I need to listen to it properly in sequence to get the right feel for it. It certainly isn't "bad" by any means though, and I can tell you I've heard numerous HFPA BDs that I thought were bad.

Edit: ah, I found the DVD-A you mean on UK amazon. Buyers must have liked it then, because I never got one and I got some pretty rare (and not particularly good...) stuff in.

Edits: 07/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: HFPA Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (2014 Remaster BD) - Comments? - cfraser 11:09:10 07/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.