Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

far too many ...

myths ...

#1 ...

>>Yes, there has been a tendency for CD players to exhibit a certain brittleness, brightness or digititis. But, it is simply not there with SACD in my experience.<<

I've heard countless SACD players/compromised sounding SACD disks, sound dreadful ... with a CONSISTENT "brittleness, brightness or digititis" that is well below the musical caliber of my own 16/44 player.

#2 ...

>>Actually, the main complaint I have heard is how everything fades to blackness with digital.<<

Certainly not a natural blackness, far more like the venues harmonic details suddenly disappear into a background fog ... much more grey and certainly more noxious in nature.

#3 ...

>>Some are comforted euphonically by the constant noise on analog, especially vinyl.<<

Another common and silly generalization - put forth by the inexperienced or totally uninitiated.

I've proven this easily wrong on countless occasions. I can take a digitally recorded LP, re-record it to LP-CDR, then compare it to the originally released CD ... and NOBODY has been able to tell the difference on a constant basis.

That's because the CD and the LP sound virtually identical ... therefore no so-called inherited euphoric vinyl addition was added or it would have been easily noticeable.

>>As to depth, soundstage imaging, etc., you ain't heard nothin' until you have heard correctly done hi Rez Mch. The depth of image frontally is far superior to anything in stereo, including vinyl. I say this having heard a considerable number of stereo and vinyl systems costing hundreds of $thousands.<<

I've heard many excellent MC systems, and the LAST thing they did well was provide vast front to back dimensionality.

>>That plus natural hall ambience enveloping you as it should, instead of being artificially redirected at you from the front in stereo, where it does not belong. No, your own room cannot possibly add back a natural sense of hall ambience from stereo speakers. It is simply much too small, and it generates reflections which artificially color and distort the sound with its own sonic signature.<<

So very wrong ... when you see a live band, the music is generated at the stage - in front of you - and is naturally reflected/redirected within the confines of THAT venue ... which also can ... "artificially color and distort the sound with its own sonic signature" ... depending on the venue itself.

Certainly, THAT is a much more natural occurrence than faking hall ambiance via additional channels.

tb1

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.