Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Your skepticism is not unjustified

Actually, I understand the lack of currency you accord Fred Crowder's remarks (not Mr. Crowder personally) as well intentioned and heartfelt those remarks may have been. I was fortunate enough to inherit from my Dad a couple of hundred books on music (mostly jazz). Some of these books chronicle the early history of the music industry including early recordings and hi fidelity gear during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. It was not uncommon for commentators of the day to make remarks about their listening experiences that were not unlike those of what Mr. Crowder and others have said about Playback Designs and other gear, expensive and not so expensive.

I remember one commentator extolling the virtues and realism of the 1930s Baby Grand Philco Radio in terms that are more compelling than what I have ever read in "Stereophile" or "Absolute Sound". I suspect that even then there were those who agreed with the commentator as well as those who concurred. I have learned, not to summarily dismiss such descriptions and opinions, which we read practically everyday, but to include them among a dozen other factors, including other points of view.

Bottom line is that there is no substitute for a meaningful audition of said gear, preferably in one's own system coupled with a heavy dose of suspension of disbelief and hope that you don't have buyer's remorse. And to the greatest degree possible compare that gear/system/room not just to other gear but also to a live music reference (as difficult as that can be).

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.