Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Actually, our friend graemme says otherwise

0dBfs = -6dB 'SACD' or another way; The nominal maximum level for an SACD is 6dB below PCM's absolute maximum of 0dBfs.

The maximum legal limit of an SACD's amplitude is +3.1 dB SACD or -2.9dBfs PCM. The mentioned 'Scarlet Book' also sets limits for ultra-sonic noise and DC offset.

What I actually said is that I hear problems with pushing levels up to the +3.1 maximum level and prefer to keep my maximum to 0dB SACD, with occasional peaks going up to about +1.5 dB SACD.

Really fast transients (essentially inaudible) are not really the problem; it's when the peak duration is around 200 samples or longer that it starts to become noticeable.

There is nothing gentle or soft about signals that exceed the +3.1 level; it's illegal because it is gross over-modulation of a system that behaves best with 50% modulation (-6dB), but will tolerate 76% modulation (-3.1dB) - just don't spend any 'musically significant time' at that latter level...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and finish making someone's CD really $%&$%ing loud.

:)

Graemme

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Actually, our friend graemme says otherwise - graemme 23:00:46 07/26/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.