Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Rebecca Pidgeon's THE RAVEN and AC polarity

I must admit that I was incredulous when someone told me this. In fact severals dealers laughed me off when I suggested that they reverse the AC polarity. They are not laughing now. I have also confirmed this with several hardware engineeers. They usually carry a polarity tester or any other meter measuring device on the road if they are going to a show.

Here's a summery of what I gathered:

While it is acknowledged that the absolute polarity of a recording must be maintained to hear the music at its optimum, it is often neglected that the AC plug’s polarity in the wall socket can affect a component’s sound quality too. Only the correct direction will enable your component to perform at it's optimum.

Most of components come with two-pin plugs, it is difficult to determine which direction is the correct polarity. Even for those with 3 pin plugs, you can never be sure that the polarity of power suply coming from the mains are correct.

As you know, the two pins are connected to the component’s transformer, which tends to leak some current to the chassis. The amount of current depends on the orientation of the AC plug.

One direction may produce a lower chassis voltage than the other. The system will sound best with the plug oriented in the direction producing the lower chassis voltage. That is always found to be the correct AC polarity orientation.

What if you don't have a polarity tester?

One simple way to check a component is by plugging into the mains in one direction first, without powering-up the component, brush the back of a finger lightly against the metal portion of the components’ front panel ( most high-end components have metallic front panels ). You can feel a slightly buzz emitting from the front panel.

Then reverse the polarity on the AC plug and brush your finger against the component’s front panel again. You can either feel a stronger or lighter buzzing sensation this time. The orientation with the lighter buzzing sensation is the usually the one with the correct polarity.

This is sometimes difficult to judge as in some places, the electrical leakage is strong in both directions. Also, those with 3 pin plugs will have some difficulties. For the purpose of testing, you could temporary use a cheater plug with only 2 pins.

You can also test the AC polarity by hearing without a AC Polarity Tester. I find it more challenging to test by hearing. Can you hear the difference? You bet! Even with a $200 bookshelf speakers, provided they are set-up properly. The correct AC Orientation always produces a wider, more open soundstage. Sound stage and imaging project effortlessly across its width, depth and even height. Music will sound more dynamic and lively and overall the listening experience is more relaxed .

With the other direction, you will find that the entire sound stage will collapse into the area in between the speakers. The main vocals or instruments will sound dry and more forward in front of the speakers. Low level details like ambience disappear and overall, the presentation appears dark and boomy. Bass Notes sound sluggish and one-note. Do the vocals in your music always seem to be very upfront and in your face?

I have found that different components are affected by this AC polarity effect differently. Transports, DAC, CDP, DVD, Pre-amps & power-amps are affected differently. It is accumulative and while it may be exciting to hear "powerful" bass in the beginning with the wrong polarity, overtime, fatigue will set in and you will not enjoy the music for long.

My usual test music is Trisha Yearwood's "on a bus to St. Clouds" from the "Thinking about you" CD. For most who has the "Spanish Harlem", the positioning of the shaker could be used too. A word of caution here though, if you are in the habit of placing your speaker wider apart than it is necessary to achieve wider soundstage, the position of the shakers might vary. Some people do that I believe.

Once your components are operating at its optimum, then you can ensure you are hearing the true results of switching speaker polarity.

Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Rebecca Pidgeon's THE RAVEN and AC polarity - jeromelang 20:44:12 12/01/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.