Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

More Analog Sound

I chose to buy an SACD player when all I heard on SACD were analog transfers from 50s and 60s classical/jazz recordings.

Despite tape hiss and tape degradation, these re-masters sounded so much more alive with realistic presence THAN direct digital 96/24 bit derived CDs recorded in the last 2 years with the latest digital technology.

Direct DSD recordings on SACD bring the format to totally more impressive heights, but I would buy the format just for SACDs from analog masters.

High Res PCM masters reveal more detail, solidity, and lack of grundge on transfer to SACD, like the impressive Mahler 2nd Symphony from Delos.

However, for PCM recordings not proper done, their grunge and harshness will be unveiled in all its ugliness on SACD. One example of this that I find disturbing is the Bernard Hermann Film Scores SACD, which has not lost its digital hashiness on SACD, although it sounds more detailed, open, and solid on SACD. In such cases, what you suggest would apply: that there is no substantial benefit gained from an SACD transfer. Just like why I do not like digital recordings released on vinyl, like the early GRP Lps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • More Analog Sound - DkB 02:04:36 12/01/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.