Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: no cop-out

"I am always very careful to avoid generalizations about formats myself, when other people do that, it drives me up a wall."

With respect, you yourself often talk about the format in isolation, when you're really talking about your format/player combination. This was the point I was trying to make, albeit somewhat clumsily. I'm more circumspect now in making format generalizations as I know from experience that I can change the boundaries by upgrades or even simple tweaks. But in the final analysis, it's what the things sound like on what we've got that's important. I made the mistake of commenting on something I have no experience with and I freely admit my mistake.

"Bach's cello sonatas on Mercury are coming out in the U.S. today on SACD. I already have them in various other forms. Of course I will buy them. But they are also out on a vinyl reissue on Speaker's Corner. Had I convinced myself that the Bartok SACD was competitive with the 45 RPM LP, I could easily pass up the $85 Speaker's Corner LP set. But now, I realize I need to have it."

I fail to see what Living Stereo's transfer has to do with those of the Mercury Living Presence series, but there you go. I hadn't heard Starker's suites previously but it definitely has merits alongside my Fournier set (reservations in the Penguin for the Starker aside). I personally would want to put my money on yet another interpretation rather than doubling up.

"Unlike many people apparently, playing an LP is trivially easy for me, I've been doing it for years, it is marginally more difficult than playing a digital disk, but luckily I am not yet an invalid and I am able to manage it without undue stress."

Though not invalided yet, after 30 years I'm glad to finally have the opportunity to move on ... now that good transfers of these legacy recordings are making their way onto SA-CD. In fact, I plan to do a survey of all the transfers now available on SA-CD for a future article. I'm certainly enjoying listening again to some of my old favourites plus discovering great recordings from the past. In the end, it's access to the music that counts.

Stephen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: no cop-out - Stephen 14:45:43 10/12/04 (1)
    • Starker - tunenut 16:25:55 10/12/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.