Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: What exactly does it say?

Here is the section that seems to apply in my case, from page 9 of the XA9000ES manual:

"Noise may be caused by an electrical potential difference on the ground circuit.* In this case, use the supplied plug adapter and be careful not to connect the ground lead to anything.
* Although the ground of the domestic mains is normally a safety ground, a few electrical potential differences may be produced, depending on the mains. Therefore, use of the supplied 3-pronged mains lead may lessen the quality of the audio signal or may produce humming noise."

I was not getting hum, but would say I had less than optimal "quality of the audio signal", when the power cord was grounded. Installing the adapter plug (with no ground connection) solved the problem. I should say, also, that the original sound was not so awful that I thought the player was malfunctioning. In a less revealing system, one might not be aware that the player could sound better. That's why I recommend that owners of these players try them with and without the ground connected, to see which sounds better.
-Bobby

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What exactly does it say? - Bobby_N 22:18:16 09/05/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.