Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

You hit the nail on the head

The BIGGEST advantage of hig res is the overhead it has for mastering cock ups , with anything under 20 bits , quantisation distortion and the distortion induced when mastering and mixing using DSP processes is audible , once you get to the 24 bit mark , these distortions are about 256 x less than at 16/44.
Im not that convinced that the sampling rate increase is resposonsible for *that* much better quality , barring the fact that one can use less agresssive anti aliasing filters.
I have had a nagra 24/96 recorder feeding my 24/96 speakers , a direct recoding done with a top notch AD system of a concert I attended and it was , to put it mildly , bloody marvellous.
I really feel a lot of the increase in quality in audiophile high resolution digital systems is due to the mastering and not the playback. I have some stunning redbook Cds of well mastered music , using systems like xrcd etc allows a subjective 19 bits resolution on an apparent 16 bit master , using stuff like pre-emphasis etc increases resolution further.

Rodney Gold

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You hit the nail on the head - Rodney Gold 19:43:16 11/28/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.