Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Re-thinking the system

Not to criticize anyone's particular likes & dislikes, I will only state that a system with an irregular response will impart its own quality on a recording. Sometimes this will be benifitial, & other times will be detrimental. All things considered, a system with low distortion, wide range smooth freq. resp. & that ability to recreate the depth in a recording is the only way to reproduce the intent of the artist & recording enginner accuratly. Horns do have fairly low distortion, partly becuse of their high efficiency. However the tonal coloration of horns negate, for me at least, any advantages they might have. They are also directional & give a limited "sweet spot". I used to sell Klipsch speakers & owned K-HORNS. After doing numerous comparisons with planer & cone speakers, side by side,With the K-HORNS it be came obious to me that the best chance of obtaining a truly unbiased presentation of the source lies with a well designed cone speaker. That is not to say that a good set of horns can't be spectacular sounding, but if you stick solely with a horn speaker you will be missing a lot of detail present in the music. Regards HiFi Guy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Re-thinking the system - HiFi Guy 12:37:46 11/28/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.