Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Re-thinking the system

>>I have spoken with a number of manufacturers who talked openly about introducing euphonic colorations to try to compensate for digital limitations. We certainly can hear a huge variety of this in sampling just a few DAC's and CDP's.<<

I strongly concur with the above statement. Many of today's top DACs and CDPs (why name names, it just pisses people off) are colored and smoothed over. Many listeners associate this type of coloration as "better" and "more analog-like"; a misnomer if there ever was one. This was my impression of "upsampling", such as it is, as well--overly smooth, but fake. But for people with problems elsewhere in their system, or with poor quality digital source material, such smoothness is interpreted as better, when in fact it's not. Spreading honey and mustard sauce on a Chicken McNugget makes it go down better, but it's still a piece of pre-processed chicken entrails. Or something like that :-)

The standard we ought to hold digital to, is to demand BOTH resolution AND a liquid, musical presentation. Unfortunately, most DACs and CDPs out there excel in one area or the other, but not both. That it is the promise of DSD--to finally meld the two honestly, w/o making compromises or introducing fake colorations or processing the data to playback something other than what's actually on the disk (i.e., upsamplers).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Re-thinking the system - DK 13:05:55 11/27/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.