Headphone Heights

RE: SET headphone amp without hum?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Some amps have a reputation for being "noisy" and/or more sensitive to ground loop issues than others. Humming can also be cause by things like internal wires or parts that are loosely attached.

A few years back and seemingly out of nowhere, my tube phono preamp developed a hum. When I opened up the case and discovered that one of the input cable terminal nuts had loosened up. After I untwisted the wire and tightened the internal nut, the hum disappeared. Another time, I discovered that the phono section in an integrated amp that I had bought on the used market had a terrible hum. When I looked inside and noticed that the internal ground wire attachment was painted metal rather than bare metal. After I scraped the black paint residue away and re-tightened the terminal nut, no more hum...

So, sometimes it's worth opening up the case and checking things out. Or if the amp is new and/or still under warranty, consider sending it back for a checkup.

If all else fails try contacting the manufacturer for advice on how to deal with hums and/or ground loop issues.

Follow Ups: